my opinions do evolve as i learn but just because you're offended it doesn't mean i'm going to take it back (✿◡‿◡)
It intensely bothers me that some people believe that teaching women self-defense is “victim-blaming.” They claim that encouraging women to learn self-defense is “society telling women not to get raped instead of telling men not to rape” or that it’s furthering rape culture in some way.
For example, look at this poster:
Someone took a picture of this poster on their campus, which had been vandalized by someone who apparently thought that teaching women self-defense is a representation of rape culture. Right, because it’s totally a horrible idea for a college campus to offer a self-defense course for their female students, who are (along with male students) at such risk for being raped that there’s even a freaking Wikipedia article about it.
Look, we don’t live in a perfect world. This whole “teach men not to rape” thing is unrealistic and naive (not to mention the fact that there are plenty of female rapists). Rapists don’t care about ethics or morality, they don’t care about consent, and they certainly don’t care about their victims. If you run into a rapist, they’re not going to be affected in any way by you saying “Stop raping people!” These kinds of people only respond to force.
That’s why self-defense is so important for everyone. Having the tools (whether it be martial arts, pepper spray, a stun gun, or anything else you can use) to defend yourself against an assailant is an invaluable asset. At the very least, you have a fighting chance to rough them up and stop them from attacking you. Countless people have been spared from assault, rape, injury, and even death because they were able to defend themselves. It doesn’t even need to be something drastic like learning martial arts; just learning to do something like keeping a very close eye on your drink when you’re with someone unfamiliar can spare you from being taken advantage of.
But if someone does get raped, is that their fault because they didn’t practice self-defense or because they failed in their attempt to do so? Of course not! Being raped is never the victim’s fault. But I’ve seen people claim that, because the victim might be blamed for their abuse, that’s reason enough to not teach self-defense.
To me, the chance that someone might be blamed for being raped because they didn’t follow self-defense instructions is vastly outweighed by the fact that many more people will remain safe because they will be able to fight back and know what to do when they’re in a dangerous situation. There is absolutely no excuse as to why self-defense shouldn’t be taught to everyone. It’s not victim-blaming, it’s not rape culture, it’s not anything bad. It honestly disgusts me that some people care more about their idea of rape culture than they do about the safety of real people.
And I like to add: stop defacing private property!
All you’re accomplishing is having custodial staff’s lives harder. If you have a problem with ads, do it without the expense of someone’s livelihood.
"The fear of getting falsely accused of rape just doesn’t compare to the fear of an actual rapist getting away with his or her crime." - The Enliven Project
To begin, the comparison of a rapist never being prosecuted to the fear of being falsely accused of rape is ridiculous and dismissive of the statistical evidence and experience that men who are falsely accused face. For all, being falsely accused is a lifetime sentence often dealt with internally because they are told that being falsely accused doesn’t matter and they should just get over it. For many others it means spending time in a prison cell for anywhere between a couple months to upwards of thirty years. If you’ve ever heard about how rapists are treated in prison then it becomes clear that these men probably become victims themselves while serving time. Remember, these men are innocent. While the feminist argument is that "men are raping men so its just the fault of men so who cares", it completely absolves the women who were responsible for putting them there in the first place.
To put it simply, men who are falsely accused and convicted of rape become the victims of brutal, reoccurring sexual assault during their sentences. So when The Enliven Project and feminists alike downplay false accusations what they are really saying is that innocent men who are sexually assaulted over and over again in a confined space with no hope of escape or help either deserve it or isn’t at all important.
97% OF ALL RAPISTS NEVER SERVE A DAY IN PRISON? WRONG.
According to the most recent analysis of data involving sexual assault and sex offenders, felony convictions are sought for 80% of all rape arrests, as seen here:
Information on the adjudication of rape offenders is also contrary to the 97% statistic, as seen here:
The time a rapist served may be less than the sentence imposed by the courts but nonetheless it is still contrary to the idea that 97% of all rapists do not serve one day in jail, as seen here:
And while it can be argued that punishments for rape are not harsh enough, there are virtually no punishments for false accusers who ruin lives and as previously mentioned above are responsible for innocent men being sexually assaulted on a constant basis in prison. For vindictive women there is only reward. Therefore, what is the deterrent if false accusers are rarely punished?
EXAMINING THE 2-8% FALSE RAPE STATISTIC AND THE NUMBERS IT REPRESENTS
The widely accepted statistic for false rape accusations is between 2-8% even though 14 out of 20 studies have placed them at a much higher rate. But even if we accept the 2-8% statistic, the numbers are not low as the statistic would suggest. For example, in 2009 there were 88,097 rapes reported according to the Department of Justice. If we take 5%, the median of 2-8% that people widely accept as the true statistic of false accusations, that would mean out of 88,097 reported rapes that 4,404 men were falsely accused of rape. That’s four thousand four hundred and four men falsely accused of rape just in 2009 alone.
Just let that sink in for a minute.
That is in no way a small number and quite frankly a very disturbing realization. Now apply the same calculation to every figure since 1990:
1990 // 5,127 falsely accused
1991 // 5,329 falsely accused
1992 // 5,453 falsely accused
1993 // 5,300 falsely accused
1994 // 5,110 falsely accused
1995 // 4,873 falsely accused
1996 // 4,812 falsely accused
1997 // 4,807 falsely accused
1998 // 4,657 falsely accused
1999 // 4,470 falsely accused
2000 // 4,508 falsely accused
2001 // 4,543 falsely accused
2002 // 4,761 falsely accused
2003 // 4,694 falsely accused
2004 // 4,754 falsely accused
2005 // 4,717 falsely accused
2006 // 4,739 falsely accused
2007 // 4,593 falsely accused
2008 // 4,593 falsely accused
2009 // 4,404 falsely accused
That’s 96,244 men falsely accused from 1990 to 2009 according to the figures provided by the Department of Justice in correlation to the median of 5% from the 2-8% false rape accusation statistic.
Now consider the fact that 14 out of 20 studies on the prevalence of false rape accusations place them at a much higher rate, as seen here:
BUT WHY WOULD A WOMAN LIE ABOUT BEING RAPED?
This question is often asked as if to suggest that women do not lie about being raped even though its been proven that women will lie about being raped for any amount of reasons including covering up an affair to having an excuse for skipping work to not getting enough sympathy from friends to not wanting to pay a $13 cab fare to simply not liking the men they’re with anymore to motivations of racism to being obsessed with the victim to no reason at all among many, many more absolutely absurd reasons. Asking this question implies that women are saints when the truth is that they are just about as much a saint as men are. Its important to remember that people are individuals and everyone has motivations and agendas, some being criminal or vindictive. Some people have mental issues and are sociopaths. So please, stop acting like women have no reason to lie about being raped because you just make yourself out to be someone who isn’t at all in touch with reality or how completely horrible people can be.
"Those who suffer genuine rape are undermined by people like you. You undermine the whole system of justice." - Judge Ian Pringles
CONCLUSION AND WHAT I REALLY THINK ABOUT ALL THIS
Rape is a very serious crime that should come with very harsh punishments. However, we should be very diligent in separating the truth from the lies and this means asking the tough questions and getting information no matter what.
The feminist outcry of “rape apologist” and “victim blamer” only works on those simple minded enough to fall for buzzwords that hardly make up for lack of a good argument. While its true that rape can sometimes be hard to prove, false accusations are virtually impossible to prove especially when no proof can be provided to support either claim which only comes down to “he said, she said” and is open to personal opinion.
The overall truth is that women can use the power of being perceived as victims to their advantage while men cannot. Whether they choose to use this advantage or not really depends on their character. Obviously not all women are this way but many are and its an insult to the victims of false accusations to suggest that because the rate is supposedly low that it means they are inconsequential. Feminists will believe this up until someone they love is falsely accused and when that happens, what then?
False accusations are the sole reason for doubt when a real victim comes forward to make a report. Essentially, false accusations are more responsible for under reporting than the so-called rape culture. The sooner feminists and others realize this, the sooner real victims will find justice instead of a cloud of doubt.
In the end, false accusers should be punished for potentially ruining the life of another person and for harming the credibility of real victims. If you don’t agree with that then consider yourself a terrible person.
Maybe I should work on part two?
I’ve been waiting patiently for it ever since you posted this one.
- has and continues to harm men and women
- has placed unnecessary tension between the sexes
- has deceptively skewed or outright lied about statistics and research on domestic violence and sexual assault to favor female victims
- continues to hide or minimize victims of domestic and sexual assault based on gender
- has manufactured a victim complex industry and profits from it
- perpetuates consistently debunked lies of gender disparities like the wage gap and the leading cause of death for women being men
- upholds double standards favorable to women like incredibly light prison sentences, light punishment of female sex offenders, and other court biases like child support, alimony, and child custody
- seek in no way to correct obvious unfair and cruel treatment of the opposite sex
- has created bogeymen and uses fear tactics to maintain perpetual struggle between the sexes
- has infiltrated federal and state politics while influencing government and pushing agendas by exploiting victims and using false information
- refuses to allow male victims their own platform by denying they exist, are of any importance, protesting them, or attempting to coerce them into using the feminist platform
- refuses to support and establishes blockades against a gender neutral rape definition
- influences domestic violence programs to discriminate against male victims by attempting to convince them that they are not a victim, that they are lying about being abused, or outright denying them help because they are male
- influences domestic violence programs to support female aggressors on the basis that they are female
- denies false rape accusations are a problem and minimizes or rejects the damage caused to the falsely accused
- denies the male suicide and homelessness epidemic is a problem
- consistently mocks male victims with slogans like “male tears”
- has sent death threats to those who openly oppose them or make up hoaxes in an attempt to slander their opposition
- slanders other human rights organizations because of their views
- continues to operate on a list of superficial grievances by claiming they represent evidence of oppression, for example: commercials, music, film, video games, cosmetics, clothing, magazines, and the mere opinions of others
- continues to operate on conspiracy theorist reasoning claiming an entity known as “the patriarchy” upholds male dominance while oppressing female existence despite the overwhelming evidence against this claim
- continues to deny scientific and biological fact that males and females are different and thus influences life choices
- continues to operate on the mindset that if you’re not one of them then you’re against them
- continues to deliberately blur the line between political ideology and gender claiming that if you’re not a feminist then you don’t support women’s rights
- continues to claim they support a women’s right to choice so long as that choice is the feminist choice
- continues to indoctrinate young girls into believing they are a victim by default, to fear men, and in order to be happy and autonomous you must be an angry feminist
- continues to shame young boys into believing they are a perpetrator of violence against women by default and in order to be normal they must reject masculine traits, self-loathe, and become subservient to women
- does not understand what oppression is
"You’re just against feminism because you got your heart bro-"
"You’re just against feminism because you can’t get la-"
"You’re just against feminism because you feel entitl-"
"You’re just against feminism because you’re whi-"
"You’re just against feminism becau-"
I’M AGAINST FEMINISM BECAUSE OF ALL THE REASONS ABOVE
STOP TELLING ME I HAVE NO REASON TO OBJECT FEMINISM
There’s a newly founded blog where anyone can submit news articles of men being violent towards women. What I’ve found most useful on Tumblr is the ability to see archives. Currently there are 185 posts on their blog and I’m wondering how many of these stories are duplicates. Well, the most noticeable are this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, and this. There may be more.
But hey, I guess domestic violence and murder is only ever committed by men, right? I mean, women literally — literally — never harm or kill men, ever. And even if they did, well men obviously deserve it just for being men.
- Woman kills man for refusing to give her beer
- Woman stabs man for refusing to have sex with her, threatens to cry rape
- Woman rips off man’s testicle because he rejected her, tried to swallow it
- Woman kills man for refusing to marry her
- Woman cuts off man’s penis because of argument
- Woman shoots her husband after argument
- Woman cuts off cheating boyfriend’s penis, flushes it
- Woman suspects husband of cheating, stabs him to death
- Woman shoots, kills boyfriend for cheating
- Woman stabs boyfriend for cheating in Monopoly board game
- Woman shoots, kills man for ending relationship
- Woman sets husband’s genitals on fire for hugging another woman, dies
- Woman kills, dismembers husband’s body over argument
- Mother kills 18-month old twins to get back at husband she thought was cheating
- Woman kills husband after he confronts her about affair
- Woman kills cheating husband with lethal dose of heroin
- Woman runs over, kills cheating husband
- Obese woman sits on boyfriend, kills him and avoids jail time
- Woman kills boyfriend with stiletto shoe
- Woman murders cheating husband with coffee mug
- Woman kills boyfriend for not buying her a gift
- Woman kills boyfriend who accused her of cheating
- Woman stabs and kills boyfriend , Judge: “I hope you die in prison”
- Woman shoots, kills ex-boyfriend, buries him in pile of debris
- Woman shoots boyfriend in the back of the neck, killing him
- Woman shoots boyfriend six times, kills him after argument
- Woman stabs, kills boyfriend over mother’s day gift
- Woman stabs boyfriend to death, also stabbed her husband to death 7 years prior
- Woman pushes way into home, stabs boyfriend to death over argument
- Woman angry at boyfriend takes her anger out on his 4 year-old
- Woman stabs boyfriend to death, thought he was cheating on her
- Woman bludgeons husband to death with hammer to pay back loan
- Woman stabs, kills boyfriend during argument
- Woman murders boyfriend for tweeting out his female crush
- Woman shoots and kills boyfriend, kills self while out on bail
- Woman stabs to death boyfriend over argument about an ex
- Woman stabs and kills boyfriend for social media posts
- Woman shoots boyfriend in the face, fails to make it look like suicide
- Woman kills boyfriend’s puppies during phone argument
- Woman shoots boyfriend in the face with rifle during argument
- Woman pushes boyfriend off fence after argument, killing him
- Woman attacks boyfriend with large knife, intent to kill
- Woman abused, threatens to kill boyfriend in sleep
- Woman beats, murders boyfriend and puts him in freezer because he wanted to break up with her
- Woman held gun to boyfriend’s head, murders on Christmas
- Woman with previous assault charge on another boyfriend stabs and kills different boyfriend
- Woman attempts to murder boyfriend with giant breasts
- Woman stabs boyfriend in neck, killing him after argument
- Woman chokes and stabs ex-boyfriends cat to death
- Woman starts argument with boyfriend, stabs and kills with umbrella
- Woman kills boyfriend with her car after argument
- Woman shoots, kills boyfriend in his bathroom
- Woman shoots, kills boyfriend with illegal handgun
- Woman sets her boyfriend on fire, killing him
- Woman shoots and kills ex-boyfriend multiple times, kills herself
- Woman shoots boyfriend in the head, found out he was dating other women
- Woman stabs and kills boyfriend over finances
- Woman stabs and kills boyfriend’s lizard because she thought he was flirting with other women
- Woman shoots, kills boyfriend who wanted to end their relationship and urged her to get an abortion
- Woman attempts to murder husband with poison in her vagina
- Woman stabs boyfriend to death after he slaps daughter
- Woman conspires to have secret lover murder her husband
- Woman stabs, kills boyfriend over argument on Labor Day
- Woman stabs boyfriend in the chest over argument
- Woman stabs boyfriend to death after finding photos of other women on cell phone
- Woman tortured ex-boyfriend’s dog until it died after argument
- Woman stabs boyfriend in his chest and through his lung, nearly killing him
- Woman fatally stabs boyfriend during heated argument
- Woman kills her boyfriend with blunt force trauma to the head using frying pan
- Woman stabs boyfriend to death for drinking her beer
- Woman strangles boyfriend to death during argument
- Woman stabs boyfriend with serrated knife over argument
- Woman shoots, murders boyfriend while she was on house arrest for another murder 11 years prior
- Woman stabs, kills boyfriend then texts friend about eating the body
- Woman stabs, kills boyfriend over dispute
- Woman shoots boyfriend in the head, suspecting he was cheating
- Woman shoots man in the groin after argument
- Woman fires handgun into the home of man who denied her a kiss
- Woman stabs husband to death over cheating fears
- Woman shoots, kills ex-boyfriend and his new girlfriend
- Women kills husband, commits suicide
- Woman shoots and kills man over argument
- Woman kills husband with baseball bat for talking back to her
- Woman kills husband, confesses to family then shoots herself
- Woman stabs boyfriend 31 times after he said ex’s name in his sleep
- Woman shoots husband in the head, shoots herself
- Woman kills boyfriend over argument at house party
- Woman shoots boyfriend with shotgun for texting another woman
- Woman kills boyfriend because she “smelled sex on him”
- Woman runs over boyfriend, kills him
- Woman stabs boyfriend in the eye for turning down threesome
- Woman stabs ex-boyfriend for refusing to stop playing the Eagles
- Woman stabs boyfriend, throws out his prosthetic legs so he can’t chase her
- Woman ties up, stabs husband 193 times, jury finds her guilty for suspicion of trying to claim life insurance
- Woman stabs fiance for refusing to take her to the liquor store
- Woman assaults and threatens boyfriend with knife for not cuddling
- Woman stabs man with ceramic squirrel for not bring home beer
- Woman stabs taxi driver after he refuses to have sex with her
- Woman stabs ex-boyfriend in his penis after discovering he had a new girlfriend
- Woman stabs boyfriend twice over time he spent in bathroom
- Woman stabs boyfriend over Facebook post
- Woman stabs her boyfriend several times because his dog ate her marijuana stash
- Woman stabs boyfriend for not calling her every two hours
- Woman shoots man five times for rejecting her, kills herself
- Woman murders ex-boyfriend with liquor laced with poison, was jealous he was engaged to new woman
What’s most interesting though is that mainstream media doesn’t even mention female shooters when they claim to show the history of the crime — but I guess they’re going by high scores. While its true that most shooting sprees are committed by males, it is also true that most child abuse, neglect, and murders are committed by females.
Women who killed or attempted to kill children in the news, past 30 days (US):
- Florida woman shoots, kills her 2 teenage sons
- Mother throws 1 year-old daughter under truck, kills her
- California mom stabs her 3 daughters to death. all under 2 years old
- Mother attempts to kill her 3 teenage children
- Mother kills her infant son by stabbing him to death
- Woman kills 2 year-old girl, attempts to kill 10 year-old boy
- Utah mom murders 6 newborns, keeps them in garage
- Mother charged with trying to suffocate daughter
- Woman charged for killing 8-month old baby
Women who killed or attempted to kill children in the news between January and April 2014 (US):
- Mother drowns both of her sons aged 3 and 6
- Mother attempts to drown her 3 children in ocean
- Utah mother shoots and kills two teen daughters, then herself
- Mother suffocates 14 month old son, fails at attempted suicide
- Woman babysitter murders 19 month old boy
- Mom kills 7 month old daughter, blames Jesus
- Woman operating illegal daycare responsible for 3 month old girl’s death, police find 14 children in her basement
- Mom strangles 3 day old baby boy, discarded body in trashcan
- Woman suffocates 2 year old girl of fiance, fakes sexual assault by unknown assailant to cover tracks
- Mother charged with killing 2 year-old daughter
- Mother of several children with history of violence murdered and buried 2 year-old daughter in shallow grave
- Mother stabs and kills her 2 children in exorcism
- Mother kills her teen son and daughter, self
- Mother confesses to killing 10 year-old son
- Mother tortures and kills 3 year-old son, burned genitals with lighter
This is only mid-year and I didn’t even include the reports of mothers killing their children from previous years or other countries.
In the end this is the truth: both genders commit crimes, some types more than others but violence is a human issue and not a gender issue. If you look into the reports of all of these school shootings for example you’ll start to notice that mental health disorders and illnesses are a common theme among others like poor living conditions and/or a history of abuse but are dismissed for a simplistic, apathetic excuse like “misogyny” or “man equal violent”. What a coincidence that the mental health and victimization of males is not in the slightest taken seriously in this country until they act out and hurt someone, especially if that someone is a woman. But even then it becomes a crusade to maximize punishment rather than to understand what made this individual behave in a negative way. If males make up over 90% of the prison population and if the prison industrial complex is any indication of what harsh punishment does to men, wouldn’t it make sense to take their issues a little more fucking seriously than to just dismiss them outright based on your personal baggage or your political agenda?
Pro-obesity is no better than pro-anorexia.
"Since when were BMWs considered ‘luxury cars’? My parents are broke lol"
- every 16 year old girl at my school who drives a BMW she got for her birthday
Apparently, the most attractive thing about me is my knowledge of Mathematics and the Periodic Table of Elements.
I keep getting asked out on QuizUp, jfc.